Sask Wheat is hiring: Policy manager
The Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission (SWDC) is a producer-led organization established by the Saskatchewan government in June 2013 to build a platform for growth in the province’s wheat industry. Its mandate is to enhance wheat producers’ competitiveness and profitability through research, market development and communication activities.
The Policy Manager reports to the General Manager and is responsible for providing support and strategic direction to the Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission (SWDC) staff and Board of Directors on a wide range of economic and policy issues affecting the sustainability and competitiveness of the wheat industry in Saskatchewan. The Policy Manager will work in collaboration with SWDC staff, government officials and other stakeholders to identify issues, compile and analyze information, and provide advice on appropriate policy positions and strategies for Saskatchewan wheat producers. This is a full-time, salaried position (37.5 hours per week); some travel is required.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Degree in agriculture, economics or business, with a strong agricultural background
- Detailed knowledge of agricultural economics, business and policies
- Thorough understanding of crop-based agriculture in western Canada and agricultural production systems
- Broad knowledge of government policy process and experience dealing with government officials
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- High level of capability in the areas of analytical, research and problem solving skills, understanding of economic and scientific research processes
- Strong organizational, project and program management skills, ability to work on a wide range of issues simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal skills, high degree of professionalism
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; respectful of others
- Willingness to demonstrate leadership and initiative
- Adaptable to changing circumstances and priorities
- Dedication to a strong and consistent work effort
- Ability to travel periodically
Education and Work Experience:
The knowledge and skills required for the position will have been obtained through a Bachelor’s degree (and preferably a Master’s degree) in agriculture, economics or business with significant knowledge of crop based agriculture in western Canada and at least five years’ work experience in the agriculture industry.
Please submit your resume by Tuesday, May 5, 2015 to:
Pat Tremaine, Office Administrator, Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission
Thank you for your interest in the Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
News & Events
Harrington Seed Destructor Evaluation at Field Scale in Alberta
This project will investigate the efficacy of Harrington Seed Destructor on weed management across different cropping systems and with different weeds.view all